Rules of the Game
Basic Rules of the Game -U8-U11 Age Group
- Start of play & re-start after a goal – Pass forward to a team mate from the middle of the half way line. All players must be in their own field of play.
Opponents must be at least 5m away from the ball until it is in play. The ball must touch a team mate before a goal can be scored.
- Ball crossing the touch line -Throw in. Opponents must be at least 5m away from the ball until it is in play.
- Ball crossing the goal line after touching the defending team last – Corner kick. Opponents must be at least 5m away from the ball until it is in play.
- Ball crossing the goal line after touching the attacking team last – Goal kick from anywhere within the penalty area. Opponents remain at least 5m outside the penalty area until the ball is in play. the ball is in play once it is kicked directly out of the penalty area.
- Goalkeepers – The goalkeeper is allowed to handle the ball anywhere in the penalty area. To restart play after a save or gathering the ball with their hands, the ball must be thrown or rolled from the hands or played from the ground with their feet, within 6 seconds. The goalkeeper is not allowed to kick or drop kick the ball directly from their hands. Opponents must be at least 5m outside the penalty area and cannot move inside the penalty area until the ball is in play.
- Under 8 & 9 – The ball is in play once it moved out of the penalty area.
- Under 10 & 11 – The ball is in play once it moves out of the penalty area or when the goal keeper places the ball on the ground.
- Fouls and misconduct – Indirect free kicks are awarded for all acts of handball or fouls and misconduct with opponents at least 5m away from the ball. (An indirect free kick is where a goal can be scored only if the ball subsequently touches another player before it enters the goal). For deliberate or serious acts of handball or fouls and misconduct in the penalty area, a penalty kick is awarded from an 8m penalty mark with only a goalkeeper in position. All other players must be outside the penalty area and be at least 5m behind the penalty mark.
- There is no off side for the 5-11 age groups. Even though there isn’t an offside rule as such coaches and parents should not encourage players to stand in blatant offside positions as this practice isn’t in the spirit of the game and will have a negative impact on the football experience for everyone.